Tuesday, April 2, 2013

What nutrition information should I know before working at Pets at Home?

Q. I already know the basics about animal nutrition, but I was wondering if there's anything that's a must-know.

I'm aware PaH provide training, but I'd like to prepare myself before hand. You don't need to give me full information, just names of stuff and I can then search for the information.

A. Well it depends on what you're working on with the animals, what animals you're working with, and what equipment you have to do those things. But almost every thing you do will need schooling for you to do yourself.
For a start though, you are going to need to know more then just the basics for the nutrition.Actually you need to do as much research for that as possible! That will help a lot.
I you can give a little bit more info about what you want to do, you'll defiantly get a better answer.
Sorry, I hope this helps!!


What is absorptive nutrition?How does this allow humans to exploit fungi to produce different products ?
Q. What is meant by absorptive nutrition? How does this characteristic of the fungal lifestyle allow humans to exploit fungi to produce different products(such as food or antibiotics).
Thank you !

A. Absorptive Nutrition- describes a way of obtaining energy and nutrients in which digestive enzymes are secreted into a substrate, then smaller, easily assimilated molecules are absorbed through the cell membrane. As decomposers, Fungi use it.

Ways that we use fungi to produce products include -

Cheese (cheeses age using fungi)
Bread (Yeast is used to allow leavened bread to "rise")

Penicillin is derived from the fungus Penicillium.

Hope that helps!


How do you create a nutrition facts label?
Q. A nutrition facts label is required on most pre-packaged food in North America. How would someone go about creating one for one of their products?

A. This is actually a great question, I've been through this and I can tell you this; if you will produce more than 10,000 units or will have I believe 10 or more employees then you need a nutrition label and it needs to be displayed in certain areas. You can find an independent food lab in the yellow pages under laboratory. Now things may of changed so I would suggest going to the FDA website (www.fda.gov) just type in business in the search bar and you'll find tons of info regarding policies. I would suggest if you are serious, finding out if a college near you deals with the culinary arts and if they have any cross classes in business that may help people out for class projects etc.


What can I do with a nutrition degree besides work in a kitchen?
Q. I want to continue pursuing my bachelor's in nutrition, because I LOVE nutrition. It is so interesting to me. I am just worried because I don't want to work in a kitchen or hospital foodservice for a living. What are my options? Should I change my major? I love the medical field and am open to suggestion.

A. Well you would do a LOT more than just planning meals for a kitchen. Everyone nutritionist I know works in a hospital but they go around and talk with the patients and do nutrition assessments and help patients make a diet for when they go home. They also look at what the person ate in the past and decide if they are maybe deficient in a nutrient or something like that. To be honest I have never met one that actually did work in a kitchen.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

1 comment:

  1. Nourishment needs of our body changes as we advances by age but at the same time seniors find it difficult to changes their dietary habits and follow doctor’s advice.
    Nutrition and Hydration week 2014

    ReplyDelete