Saturday, January 12, 2013

What are some possible careers/college majors for someone who likes nutrition and engineering?

Q. I like learning about food and nutrition (including the science behind it). However, I'm also pretty sure I want to be an engineer. I start college next year and want to pick a major that will suit my interests. Right now, my major is Civil Engineering, but I have come to love learning about nutrition, etc. Does anyone have any ideas?

A. Chemical engineering might be a good fit, since you like the science part of food and engineering. Find out if there are any food/nutrition classes at your school and take as many of those as you can. Look for a research mentor to work under.


What's the difference between a nutrition major and a health studies major?
Q. Hi! I am currently incredibly unhappy with the university I am attending now. And I am currently majoring a nutrition at a university that has an accredited program. I really really hate this school, so I'm thinking of transferring to another school closer to home, but it doesn't offer nutrition, only health studies. Would this be a bad move? What is the difference between nutrition and health studies?

A. I am sorry you are so unhappy at your current university.

To answer your question, it really depends on what you hope to do with your degree when you graduate.

A nutrition degree often emphasizes basic chemistry, and biology, as well as food science courses. A nutrition major may be well prepared for a career as a registered dietitian.

A health studies major often is geared towards those that want to go into health communications, or health management. Think: somebody who wants to work in a hospital or healthcare setting, but is not a healthcare provider (i.e. doctor, nurse), but rather an administrator or health policy designer.

So it is really up to you, but I would advise you to figure out how a change in degree might impact your career plans.

Eric


What majors could be related to bodybuilding and nutrition?
Q. I'm 18 yrs old. I enjoy recreational bodybuilding and nutrition. I'm about to enter college and I could never decide on a major, but I realize I have a passion for those kinds of things. Is there a major I could choose that could get me a job related to those things with good pay? I know you should do what you love, but I love Porsches and such. I want a major with good pay possibilities. But does that field have good paying jobs?

A. Nutrition & Dietetics, sports nutrition, kinesiology, pre-physical therapy, athletic training, health& physical education


What is the start up cost for a nutrition store?
Q. I am thinking about opening a nutrition store and I was wondering the cost to start off a company. Ex gnc, nutri zone. Which franchise tends to be more successful?

A. As of 2009, Entrepreneur.com estimated the average start up cost of new nutrition store at about $158,500. Choosing to open a franchise offers immediate brand recognition but has a very high start up cost. Opening your own store can lower that start up cost but may take longer to develop a consistent, recognizable and profitable brand. Consider what already exists in the market, and whether you need to offer something completely new with your own store, or whether a franchise store will effectively reach your target market.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment