Tuesday, January 15, 2013

What does red blood cells carry differently to plasma?

Q. I know red blood cells carries oxygen and this chemical is called haemaglobin but what else do red blood cell carry and plasma in the blood? I know they carry vital substances but I don't know which one carries which.

Please help! Thank you!

A. The hemoglobin in red blood cells binds to both O2 and CO2 for gas exchange. O2 is taken to the tissues. About 10% of CO2 binds to hemoglobin and is unloaded in the lungs for exhalation.

Plasma contains water and plasma proteins. The plasma proteins are fibrin for clotting, globulins for antibodies, and albumin. The plasma proteins are important for setting up a plasma-colloid osmotic pressure, which is a force important in net filtration in the kidneys and for moving water into the circulatory system.


How long after giving blood should I wait to get blood work done?
Q. I am a member of the local Blood Bank, and they have called me to give my donation. I am scheduled to get blood work done soon after. How long do I need to wait after I give blood, to get my blood work done?
I am planning on donating this week. My appointment for blood work is next week. Would there be an issue with my blood work since my donation is close to when I am having blood work done?

A. There should be no problem donating blood followed by routine lab tests. Quantitative hematology tests such as hemoglobin/hematocrit may be slightly affected. Otherwise, most lab tests will not be affected. Thank your for such a generous gift.


How can i remove blood stains from carpet?
Q. Blood has been sitting for a week on carpet, what is the best way to remove the stains?

A. Oxi-Clean. Soak, blot. Then soak again, blot again. Then stack some folded rags on the spot, put something heavy on the rags and leave it overnight to soak up all the moisture. This assumes the carpet isn't wool. (Oxi-Clean is not good for wool carpets.) You may have to repeat it, but I usually didn't.

I know about this because I had an old dog that had skin issues/tumors. She left several serious blood spots on my light beige carpet, and the Oxi-Clean worked like a charm.

Good luck.


Why is Blood most needed during the summer and the winter season?
Q. Most companies hold a blood drive during the summer and the winter season? What is so significant about these seasons that most blood drives are held during these times?

A. It's not. They need blood all year round.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment